As part of the Platinum Jubilee celebrations, Her Majesty the Queen, has set up the Queen’s Green Canopy to help look after our environment. This May half term, we decided to follow in Her Majesty’s footsteps by celebrating the pollinators who help to keep our planet green! We invite you to join us for a series of exciting, pollinator themed events and activities.
In Association with the British Bee Keepers Association, activities include:
– Interactive and Sensory Hive experience
– A Microscopic Experience: Enjoy the opportunity to use high-powered microscope to examine 100X magnified natural specimens and samples. – See what you can spot that can’t be observed by the naked eye!
– Explore Honey Extraction: Honey extraction is a central process in beekeeping that involves removing the honey from the honeycomb. Learn all about how this is done!
– ‘Skep’ Making Activity: Try your hand at the ancient art of skep making and learn all about the processes used.
– Candle Rolling Activity: An opportunity for children of all ages to roll a simple beeswax candle with the help of one of our stewards. With a pleasantly sweet aroma, these are a great addition to any home!
– An Open Air Bee Demonstration
Delivered by Compton Verney’s Grounds Team:
– Wild Flower Meadow Demonstration by Peter Haine: Join our expert grounds volunteer Peter Haine for a demonstration on how to create a successful wildflower meadow in your garden.
– BBC Ndevour Warwickshire Moth Group: BBC Ndevour Moth group will be spending the night at Compton Verney to look for beautiful moths. Come early morning on 1st June to see which colourful moths they have found!
All activities are included with daily admission and Compton Verney membership. Activities will be drop-in and on a first-come, first served basis. There will be plenty to do on the day!